top of page


The Mid-South Veterans Help Desk, basic function as a Veterans Resource Center is to be a place which provides information & equipment as a source of aid or support to our local veterans. Our goal is for our Resource Center to serve as a focal point for military appreciation & education, community involvement, & valuing local knowledge & resources.


1-800-273-8255 PRESS 1
1-800-273-TALK (8255)

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I receive educational benefits?
A monthly educational assistance allowance is payable to veterans who qualify for one of VA's educational assistance programs. Each program has a unique eligibility specified by law, and only one program can be used at any given time. If you need help with your education benefits, you can call toll-free by dailing 1-888-442-4551.
How can I receive government life insurance?
If you receive a rating for a new service-connected disability (even 0%), you may be eligible for government life insurance if you are in good health (except for the service-connected conditions) and apply within two years of this notification of your new disability rating, call toll free 1-800-669-8477.
Are my benefits exempt from claims or creditors?
Compensation payments are exempt from claims or creditors. With certain exceptions the payments are not assignable and are not subject to attachment, levy or seizure except as to claims of the United States.
If I ever cancel my health care, may I re-enroll?
You may reapply for enrollment at any time by completing a new VA form 10-EZ, Application for Health Care Benefits. You may call 1-877-222-8387 to reapply by telephone. Please note that you will be considered a new applicant and eligibility for enrollment will be based upon eligibility requirements in place at the time of re-enrollment.
What is a geographic income limit?
Recognizing the cost of living can vary significantly fronm one geographic area to another, therefore, Congress added income limits based on geographic locations existing VA income limits for financial assistance purposes. Veterans whose income falls between the VA income limit and the geographic income limit for the Veteran's locate will have their inpatient medical care copayments reduced by 80%.
What happens if, at end of the process, my income is verified to be higher than the income limits?
Your copay status will be changed from copay exempt to copay required, which may results in disenrollment due to enrollment restrictionsw for Veterans whose income exceeds the income limits. VA facilities involved in your care will be notified of your change in status and to initiate billing for services provided during that income year. Your enrollment priority status is adjusted by the income verification (IV) process. If your enrollment status is charged, you will be notified by mail.
As a veteran, am I eligible for dental care?
Dental benefits are provided by the VA according to law. In some instances, VA is authorized to provided extensive dental care, while in other cases, treatment may be limited. The eligibility for outpatient dental care is not the same as for most other VA medical benefits and is categorized in classes. For instance, if you are eligible for VA dental care under Class I, II(c) or IV, you are eligible for any necessary dental care to maintain or restore oral health and masticatory function, including repeat care. Other classes have time &/or service limitations.
When is my check delivered?
A check covering the intial amount due under this award will be mailed within 15 days. Thereafter, checks will be delivered at the beginning of each month for the month.
How can I receive hospitalization and outpatient treatment?
Veterans who have one or more service-connected disabilities as determined by the Veterans Benefits Administrtion are eligible for medical care through the VA health care system.If you are interested in obtaining VA medical care, you may contact your nearest VA health care facility or the VA Enrollment Service Center at 1-877-222-8387.
I am moving to another state. How do I transfer my care to a new VA health care facility?
If you want to transfer your care from one VA health care facility to another, contact the Enrollment Office for assistance in transferring your care and establishing an appointment at the new facility.
How can I receive dental treatment?
If you are evaluated as 100% disabled for service-connected disabilities or as 100% disabled because of individual unemployability,ou may be eligible for VA dental treatment. For additional information, contact your nearest VA Medical Center or Outpatient Care.
How can I receive additional compensation or dependents?
Veterans having 30% or more service-connected condition may be entitled to additional compensation for a spouse, dependent parents, or unmarried children under 18 (or 23 if attending an approved school) or when prior  to age 18 the dependent has become of mental or physical defect. The additional benefit for a spouse is payable in a higher amount upon receipt of evidence establishing that the spouse is a patient in a nursing home or so disabled as to require the aid and attendence of another person.
Can I ever cancel my VA health care coverage?
You may request to dis-enroll from VA health care at any time, commonly referred to as cancel/decline. To request to be dis-enrolled, you must submit a sined and dated document requesting to be dis-enrolled from VA health care to a VA Medical Center or you may mail the request to:
Health Eligibility Center
Enrollment & Eligibility Division
2957 Clairmont Rd., Ste. #200
Atlanta, GA 30329
How can I receive increased benefits based on individual unemployability?
If your service-connected disabilities are seriously disabling and you are unable to secure and hold steady work, employment because of your disabilities, you may apply to receive total disability. To apply for this benefit, you should contact the nearest VA office and complete VA Form 21-8940, "Veterans's Application for increased Compensation Based on Unemployability".
How can I receive a clothing allowance?
You may be eligible if, because of a service-connected disablity, you wear or use a  prothetic device or orthoprdic application appliance which tends to wear out or tear clothing. You may also be eligible if a doctor has prescribed medication for a service-connected skin condition, and the medication causes irreparable damage to your outer garments. To apply for the benefit, contact Prosthetic and Sensory Aids Service at your nearest VA Medical Center or Outpatient Clinic.
If enrolled in the VA health care system, must I use VA as my exclusive health care provider?
There is no requirement that the VA become your exclusive provider of care. If you are a veteran who is receiving care from both VA and a local provider, it is important for your health and safety that your care is coordinated, resulting in one treatment plan (co-managed care).
bottom of page