top of page

Veteran Applications/forms

Military Personnnel Records

Military Personnel Records can include DD21's/Separation Documents, service personnel records found within the Official Miliatry Personnel File (OMPF), & medical records. Military Personnel Records can be used for proving military service or as a valuable tool in genelogical research.


Please note that NPRC holds historical Militaru Personnel Records of nearly 100 million veterans. The vast majority of these records are paper-based & not available on-line. Learn More.



Request Your Military Service Records Online, by Mail, or by Fax
(Include DD214/Separation Documents, Personnel Records, Replacement Medals, &/or Medical Records).
Review the Instructions Before you Begin!

Instrusctions-Table of Contents


. Who can order records online using eVetsRecs

. Required information

. Recommended information

. Emergency request & deadlines

. Where to send my request if by mail or fax

. Fees (Free for military veterans)

. Respose time

. Checking the status of your request

. Online request/eVetRecs help

Need Help?


. Online request/eVetRecs Problems

. Checking the status of your request

. Need immediate assistance

. Military Personnel Records FAQ (Includes DD214, Separation Documents, Personnel Records, &/or Medical Records)

. More FAQ







Frequently Requested Record which are not at the National Resource Records Center. For those records, you will need to contact the appropriate State Archives.

1. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) records: For further information call the VA Toll Free number 1-800-827-1000.


2. Pay Records: If available at all, these would be at the various Department of Defence Finance Centers.


3. Records of veterans who have been separated from active duty but have reserve status, either active or inactive: Contact the Reserve component of the appropriate srevice branch.


4. Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) of veterans who have been discharged, died, or who have died in service since January 1, 1995 (Navy), January 1, 1999 (Marine Corps), & October 1, 2004 (Air Force): Contact the Personnel Center or Headquarters of the appropriate branch of service. The Army, since October 1, 2002, has also ceased retiring OMPFs of former service members to the NPRC; however, the NPRC has access to those records & will serve your request. See Records Table for complete details.


5. Records of memberscurrently in the National Guard: Contact the Adjutant General's Office of the apropriate state. The National Guard Bureau website contains additional information.


6. Records of former National Guard members who were not called into active federal service: Contact the Adjutant General of the state in which the member served.


7. Recent Active Duty Health Records: Formerly, when a member was released, discharged or retired from active duty, the military serve branch retired the health record to the NPRC with the Personnel Record portion.


However, by the 1990s, the military discontinued filing health records with personnel records, & by the late 90s, all service branches were retiring its former members' health records to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).


Call the VA toll free number at 1-800-827-1000to identify the current location of specific health records & to find out how to detain releasable documents of information.


8. Military Service Department Unit Histories & Military Operation:


  . U.S. Air Force Historical Research Agency

    600 Chenault Circle

    Maxwell AFB, AL 36112-6424


    Telephone: (334)953-2395


  . U.S. Naval History & Heritage Command

    Washington Navy Yard, Bldg 57 (3rd Floor)

    Washington, DC 20374


    Telephone: (202)433-3224


  . U.S. Marine Corps History Division

    3078 Upshur Avenue

    Quantico, Virginia 22134


    Telephone: (703)432-4877


  . National Archives & Records Administration

    Modern Military Records-NWCTM

    8601 Adelphi Road

    College Park, MD 20740-6001


    Telephone: (202) 357-5000

    Customer Service Center Telephone: 1-866-272-6272





Veteran Forms

VA Forms

Searching VA Forms on their site are available in several formats. Fillable pdf can be filled on-line, printed, saved & edited. XFT formscan be filled on-line, printed, & saved to your pc but cannot be edited later ( Turn off your Pop-up Blocker to use xft). Some PDF are printable blank forms.

Frequently Requested VA Forms
Appeal's Related Forms:
. VA Form 9 
  Appeal to Board of Veterans Appeals
Burial Related Forms:
. 10-2065
  Funeral Arrangements
. 21-8834
  Application for Reimbursement of headstone or marker expenses
. 21P-503
  Application for Burial Benefits
Dependent & Survivor Related Forms:
. 21-534EZ
  Application of DIC, Death Pension, & accrued benefits by surviving spouse or child
. 21-4170
  Statement of Marital Relationship
Disability/Compensation Related Forms:
. 21-22
  Appointment of Veteran Service Organization as Claimant's Representative
. 21-2680
  Examination for Housebound status or permanent need for regular aid & attend
. 21-4138
  Statement in Support of Claim
. 21-526
  Veterans Application for Compensation &/or Pension
Education Related Forms:
. 21-674
  Request for Approval of School Attendence
. 22-1990
  Application for VA Education Bebefits
. 22-5490
  Dependents' Application for VA Education Benefits
. 22-0803
  Application for Reimbursement of Liciencing or Certification Test Fees
. 22-0810
  Application for Reimbursement of National Examination Fees
. 22-8691
  Application for Work Study Allowance
General Veteran Forms:
. 10-3542
  Veteran/Beneficiary Claim for Reimbersement of Travel Expenses
. 10-7055
  Application for voluntary Service
. 26-8261a
  Request for Certificate of Veteran Status
. 29-0543
  Veterans Mortgage Lif Insurance (VMLI)
. 29-357
  Claim for Disability Insurance- Government Life Insurance
. 29-4364
  Application for Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance
Healthcare Related Forms:
. 10-10d
  Application for CHAMPVA Benefits
. 21-2680
  Examination for House bound states or Permanent need for Regular Aid & Attend 
Housing Related Forms:
. 10-0103
  Veteran Application for Assistance in Aquiring Home Improvement
. 26-1880
  Request for a Certificate of Eligibility
. 26-4555
  Application in Acquiring Special, Adapting Housing or Special Home Adaption Grant
Motor Vehicle Relate Forms
. 10-1394
  Application for Adaptive Equipment -Motor Vehicle
. 10-5345
  Request For & Authorization to Release Medical Records
. 10-5345a
  Individual Request for a copy of their own Health Information
. 21-4142a
  General Release for Medical Providers Information to the VA
Vocational Habilitation & Employment Related Forms:
. 22-1990R
  Application for Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP)
. 22-8864
  Training Agreement for Apprenticeship & other Programs
. 28-1900
  Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation

If you are unable to find your form here, you may want to visit:


. Request for DD214 or other Military Records NARA SF/180


. GSA Library of Standard & Optional Forms


. DD Forms Department of Defense Forms Program


. SGLI/VGLI Insurance Forms (including SGLV 8286)


. For Military Funeral Honors (visit link




bottom of page