Veteran Resource Center
Military Personnnel Records
Military Personnel Records can include DD21's/Separation Documents, service personnel records found within the Official Miliatry Personnel File (OMPF), & medical records. Military Personnel Records can be used for proving military service or as a valuable tool in genelogical research.
Please note that NPRC holds historical Militaru Personnel Records of nearly 100 million veterans. The vast majority of these records are paper-based & not available on-line. Learn More.
Request Service Records
. eVetRecs Help
. Other Methods to Obtain Service Records
. Special Notice Regarding Request
Military Service Records
. About Service Records
. Correcting Service Records
. Medical & Health Records
. Location of Services
. Older (pre-WWI) Service Records
. What Records Are Not Available?
Request Your Military Service Records Online, by Mail, or by Fax
(Include DD214/Separation Documents, Personnel Records, Replacement Medals, &/or Medical Records).
Review the Instructions Before you Begin!
Instrusctions-Table of Contents
. Who can order records online using eVetsRecs
. Required information
. Recommended information
. Emergency request & deadlines
. Where to send my request if by mail or fax
. Fees (Free for military veterans)
. Respose time
. Checking the status of your request
. Online request/eVetRecs help
. Online request/eVetRecs Problems
. Checking the status of your request
. Need immediate assistance
. Military Personnel Records FAQ (Includes DD214, Separation Documents, Personnel Records, &/or Medical Records)
. More FAQ
Frequently Requested Record which are not at the National Resource Records Center. For those records, you will need to contact the appropriate State Archives.
1. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) records: For further information call the VA Toll Free number 1-800-827-1000.
2. Pay Records: If available at all, these would be at the various Department of Defence Finance Centers.
3. Records of veterans who have been separated from active duty but have reserve status, either active or inactive: Contact the Reserve component of the appropriate srevice branch.
4. Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) of veterans who have been discharged, died, or who have died in service since January 1, 1995 (Navy), January 1, 1999 (Marine Corps), & October 1, 2004 (Air Force): Contact the Personnel Center or Headquarters of the appropriate branch of service. The Army, since October 1, 2002, has also ceased retiring OMPFs of former service members to the NPRC; however, the NPRC has access to those records & will serve your request. See Records Table for complete details.
5. Records of memberscurrently in the National Guard: Contact the Adjutant General's Office of the apropriate state. The National Guard Bureau website contains additional information.
6. Records of former National Guard members who were not called into active federal service: Contact the Adjutant General of the state in which the member served.
7. Recent Active Duty Health Records: Formerly, when a member was released, discharged or retired from active duty, the military serve branch retired the health record to the NPRC with the Personnel Record portion.
However, by the 1990s, the military discontinued filing health records with personnel records, & by the late 90s, all service branches were retiring its former members' health records to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
Call the VA toll free number at 1-800-827-1000to identify the current location of specific health records & to find out how to detain releasable documents of information.
8. Military Service Department Unit Histories & Military Operation:
. U.S. Air Force Historical Research Agency
600 Chenault Circle
Maxwell AFB, AL 36112-6424
. U.S. Naval History & Heritage Command
Washington Navy Yard, Bldg 57 (3rd Floor)
Washington, DC 20374
. U.S. Marine Corps History Division
3078 Upshur Avenue
Quantico, Virginia 22134
. National Archives & Records Administration
Modern Military Records-NWCTM
8601 Adelphi Road
College Park, MD 20740-6001
Telephone: (202) 357-5000
Customer Service Center Telephone: 1-866-272-6272
Searching VA Forms on their site are available in several formats. Fillable pdf can be filled on-line, printed, saved & edited. XFT formscan be filled on-line, printed, & saved to your pc but cannot be edited later ( Turn off your Pop-up Blocker to use xft). Some PDF are printable blank forms.
Frequently Requested VA Forms
Appeal's Related Forms:
. VA Form 9
Appeal to Board of Veterans Appeals
Burial Related Forms:
Application for Reimbursement of headstone or marker expenses
Application for Burial Benefits
Dependent & Survivor Related Forms:
Application of DIC, Death Pension, & accrued benefits by surviving spouse or child
Statement of Marital Relationship
Disability/Compensation Related Forms:
Appointment of Veteran Service Organization as Claimant's Representative
Examination for Housebound status or permanent need for regular aid & attend
Statement in Support of Claim
Veterans Application for Compensation &/or Pension
Education Related Forms:
Request for Approval of School Attendence
Application for VA Education Bebefits
Dependents' Application for VA Education Benefits
Application for Reimbursement of Liciencing or Certification Test Fees
Application for Reimbursement of National Examination Fees
Application for Work Study Allowance
General Veteran Forms:
Veteran/Beneficiary Claim for Reimbersement of Travel Expenses
Application for voluntary Service
Request for Certificate of Veteran Status
Veterans Mortgage Lif Insurance (VMLI)
Claim for Disability Insurance- Government Life Insurance
Application for Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance
Healthcare Related Forms:
Application for CHAMPVA Benefits
Examination for House bound states or Permanent need for Regular Aid & Attend
Housing Related Forms:
Veteran Application for Assistance in Aquiring Home Improvement
Request for a Certificate of Eligibility
Application in Acquiring Special, Adapting Housing or Special Home Adaption Grant
Motor Vehicle Relate Forms
Application for Adaptive Equipment -Motor Vehicle
Request For & Authorization to Release Medical Records
Individual Request for a copy of their own Health Information
General Release for Medical Providers Information to the VA
Vocational Habilitation & Employment Related Forms:
Application for Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP)
Training Agreement for Apprenticeship & other Programs
Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation
If you are unable to find your form here, you may want to visit:
. Request for DD214 or other Military Records NARA SF/180
. GSA Library of Standard & Optional Forms
. DD Forms Department of Defense Forms Program
. SGLI/VGLI Insurance Forms (including SGLV 8286)
. For Military Funeral Honors (visit link http://www.dmdc.osd.mil/)